June 24, 2003

My family and I are taking a trip this weekend, and so these next few days are almost certainly full of packing, planning, and generally preparing to leave. My law of vacations is that it the effort expended in preparing for one always outweighs the rest and relaxation of the vacation itself. =) I wonder why that is? I suppose if I (1) lived more simply and (2) kept a shorter "to do" list, I could spend less time in a mad rush of preparation and more in joyful anticipation of the coming adventure.

Is there a spiritual application? You know there is:

"By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as his inheiritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going. By faith he made his home in the promised land like a stranger in a foreign country; he lived in tents, as did Isaac and Jacob, who were heirs with him of the same promise. For he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God." Hebrews 11:8-10

Abraham never lived in a home with foundations, but instead chose to live in a tent because he was called to be a faith-sojourner. It was as if he heard God say, "Don't get too comfortable, Abraham. Don't allow yourself to get so established that you can't get up and move the moment you hear me call." If God called my family and I to move to a new field of service tomorrow, would we be able to go without leaving a bundle of loose ends and unrealized goals behind?

I'll confess I don't like the place this line of thought is leading me... =\

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home