March 06, 2004

Ever wonder what you look like to others, 2.0

From GQ Magazine, September 2002: What Would Jesus Do? by Walter Kirn. (Found via Michael Toy's Lingering Lemon of Death and reproduced in its entirety at KLife.)

This article has left me seriously confused and troubled on some deep level of my existence that hasn't been troubled in a long time but that, when it gets troubled, usually ends up forcing me to make major changes in my life.

I don't know whether to thank you or curse you, Michael, for linking to this article. I was pretty comfortable (and almost completely oblivious) in my "Ark," my little cocoon of Christian "culture." Of course, it's intuitively obvious to even the dullest of Christian casual observers that Christian "culture" runs more parallel to consumerist Western "pop" culture than counter to it...but I've never really felt dirty about it until now.

I'm beginning to think that our problem is that we've labored to remove everything that's "bad" from popular culture, but we've never really thought to inject anything "good" into it. We're prayerless neo-Puritans, and we deserve the blase' quasi-heretical sludge like Touched by an Angel and Left Behind that we've produced.

For the first time in my life, I have a sincere desire to enter a monestary or some family commune. How does a person get clean from all this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home