January 21, 2005

Baylor's Sloan to step down

The Waco Tribune seems to have the first decent report. (Update: Christianity Today now has a report, including some reaction from Sloan's detractors and lots of background information.) If you're not sure why this matters to the church, the American academy, or the future of evangelicalism, read this article by Hunter Baker at National Review Online. You might also check out Joe Carter's take on the "Baylor Experiment" here at Evangelical Outpost.

I want to get it on record right now that I had nothing to do with this. Just because I happened to start at Baylor two weeks ago doesn't mean I'm in any way responsible. Totally coincidental.

I also want to get on record that I don't have a good feeling about this. Time will tell, but I don't think this is necessarily a good thing pro ecclesia, pro Texana or pro any of the rest of us, for that matter.

Update: At his groupblog, The Reform Club, Hunter Baker shares that Christianity Today has asked him to write an online piece about Sloan's resignation and its significance for Baylor. Keep an eye out for it.

Update: Hunter's piece is up at CT and it's excellent. Read it here.

3 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read this blog and some of the associated links.....hopefully slone will still have an effect and not be so vulnerable were he is now. Hunter's piece was especially insightful. Who will replace Slone.....any rumors? I know you went to Baylors because of slone....but hang in there this could be restructuring, not defeat.

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

I tend to agree with Hunter, that this isn't the end of Baylor 2012. I hope that, in spite of the predictions (hopes?) his detractors, Dr. Sloan is able to continue to have an impact as chancellor.

You're right, though, that Baylor 2012 and Dr. Sloan were important reasons why I chose Baylor and Truett Seminary. More on that later...if I can find a few blogging moments.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Hunter Baker said...

Thanks for spreading the good word, Daniel. I was happy to see you quickly had an item up on what's happened so far. Just remember, John's head ended up on a silver platter, but we're still preaching the word today.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home