February 24, 2005

Anglican leaders recommend temporary split

The BBC is reporting on the most important result of this week's meeting of the world's Anglican Primates: Anglicans demand temporary split. Seems this is the "next step" the Windsor Report* anticipated. Quote of note from the meeting's statement:
We request that the Episcopal Church (USA) and the Anglican Church of Canada voluntarily withdraw their members from the Anglican Consultative Council for the period leading up to the next Lambeth Conference [the ten-yearly meeting of all Anglican bishops, due next in 2008]
The BBC article goes on to state, "The ACC is a liaison body, with members drawn from each province or member church. To step down would mean a church was no longer a full member of the Anglican family. One observer said: 'The primates have handed the North Americans a pearl-handled revolver.'"

This saddens me. The Anglican communion's ability to unify diversity has always been such an encouragement to me...

Lord, please strengthen them to sustain unity in spite of their differences. Unify them around your cross. At the same time, preserve in them the truth of the biblical witness as it concerns homosexuality. If it is not possible to do both, please do the one that is best for all of us, the one that gives you greatest glory. I'm so glad we can entrust that decision to your perfect discernment. In the name of Him who prayed, "May they be one," Amen.

*For more of my thoughts on the Windsor Report and other things Anglican, start here.

4 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Blogger Tony said...

Daniel, thank you for your prayers and good wishes, we surely need them. I am hoping against hope that the BBC are reporting up a storm, and the reality may be not a split but one of those compromises we have excelled at, historically. One of my fears, though, is that if this is a compromise it strengthens the hands of the reactionaries, when they need a substantial bit of weakening. However, I comfort myself with the remembrance that whenever a part of the church gets too big and strong, events (Providence?) have a way of taking them down a few pegs.

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger Chera said...

Some friends of mine and I were discussing this the other day and one of them asked if the Episcopalian church made the distinction between practicing and non-practicing homosexuals. I didn't know, so I'm passing the question along... Is there a distinction? Apparently most the people I've talked to said that this info would influence their decision.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Chera, I think the Anglican Church proper, i.e. the Church of England in England, does. Tony (or Google) can probably correct me on this. If I recall correctly, the Church of England installed a non-practicing homosexual as Dean of St. Albans cathedral. The U.S. church (Episcopalian) does not draw that distinction.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Chera said...

Thanks for the clarification Daniel. I posted the article yesterday (and today my response to the discussion that followed) on my journal. It's quite interesting if you want to look at them.

Article & DiscussionFollow-up(Both Danielle's and my personal journals have been doubling as UD until we get it back up...)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home