February 24, 2005

Interview with the NeoTheolog

Manders is holding interviews over in her living room, and since my favorite thing to write about is myself, I volunteered for one! So, here is the transcript of our interview. (If it helps you get into the mood, picture this like something you'd see on Entertainment Tonight or something, with me as the famous film director and Manders as the cool and composed interviewer.)

Manders: Daniel is a recently transplanted Wacoan who's studying at Truett Seminary (and apparently used to be in the military). First things first: How did you meet your wife, and how many kids do you guys have?

Daniel: My wife and I met on our first day at West Point. We were both wearing athletic shorts, white t-shirts, knee-high black dress socks, and black dress shoes. I had just had my head shaved, and she had a hair-do that we later gave the affectionate nickname "mushroom head." As you can imagine, it was love at first sight. Well, not exactly...it took us a year or so to move from "squadmates" to "lovebirds." We have four children, ranging in age from six years to six months. Usually when we walk into a restaurant and the hostess asks us, "How many?" I respond, "Two adults and forty-two children," because that's how it frequently feels.

M: What made you decide to sign up for the army?

D: Going to West Point was a lifelong dream, the product of growing up as the son of a soldier. It was also a logical "first stop" on the route to what was in those days the driving goal of my existence: to become an astronaut. God, apparently, had other plans. =)

M: What led you to Truett, and have you found the open theists yet?

D: Coming to Truett was, at least initially, a very pragmatic decision. We couldn't really afford to go anywhere else. I have been incredibly blessed to discover in the meantime that Truett is a perfect fit for me in every way. In fact, I was just sharing with someone tonight that I can't really imagine a seminary where I would be happier or more at home. As for the open theists, my scrupulous investigating has uncovered one first-year student who admits to being an open theist. Beyond that, I'll have to keep looking. ;-)

M: Who is your favorite theologian?

D: Ooo, that's the kind of question that could keep me up all night long! At first blush, though, I think my favorite "classic" (i.e. dead) theologian is Tertullian. The contemporary theologians I admire most are Alister McGrath (whom I had the blessing of studying under this summer at Oxford), Stanley Grenz (who actually taught at Baylor for a short time), and N.T. Wright (who far and away has the best web page of the three).

M: What's your favorite coffee drink?

D: Tough one. I was just telling my wife tonight how much I love coffee in all of its incarnations. I think my favorite, though, is a toss-up between (a) a cafe breve upside down with an extra shot and (b) a simple espresso with plenty of sugar.

7 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wait till the kids get older...I love it when someone asks great questions!!!!!!somewhere i knew the answers but i though a "galon" would rate higher. I loved the view!!!!!

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger lucas said...

hey daniel...

at the moment i consider myself an open theist... although more study, thought and prayer must be done before this aspect of ym faith becomes more "solid". so add me to your list.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

Mom, you and I both know that a galao is a girly drink. =) (Don't tell anyone, but a breve "upside down" is one where they steam the half-and-half first and then dump the shot on top, in other words, a galao! The really funny thing is that I didn't realize that until just now!)

Lucas...I guess my idea for a "don't-ask-don't-tell" policy here at NeoTheo(b)log just went right out the window... =)

 
At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you know a "Red Herring" when you see one,Lucus......I'LLLL be bauk! Da Mom

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger Manders said...

Mmm, Alister McGrath. You studied under him?

 
At 11:12 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Yes, as a graduate student with the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities' Oxford Summer Programme. He taught my seminar on "The Project of Theology." It was pretty cool to have him as basically a small group leader--and pretty intimidating having him critique my personal theology. =) But he's tremendous.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

I love posts like these, where I get a different kind of glimpse into the lives or minds of the bloggers I enjoy reading. Thanks for doing this!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home