May 15, 2006

McLaren: DaVinci Code No More Harmful than Left Behind

Pastor Brian is at it again. Read his thoughts on Dan Brown's blockbuster-to-be at Sojourners. Quotes of note:

I think a lot of people have read the book, not just as a popular page-turner but also as an experience in shared frustration with status-quo, male-dominated, power-oriented, cover-up-prone organized Christian religion.

For all the flaws of Brown's book, I think what he's doing is suggesting that the dominant religious institutions have created their own caricature of Jesus. And I think people have a sense that that's true.
And my personal favorite:

The book is fiction and it's filled with a lot of fiction about a lot of things that a lot of people have already debunked. But frankly, I don't think it has more harmful ideas in it than the Left Behind novels.

You'll pardon my uncontrollable giggling...

4 Comments:

At 5:45 PM, Blogger DesertPastor said...

Do you think McLaren's stance may serve as a bit of a needed corrective in light of all the Christian alarmists who are trying to capitalize from Dan Brown's success and scare people in the Christian community?

 
At 8:19 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

It's interesting that you bring up "Christian alarmism," DP. I would put many of the Left Behind proponents in the same category. Some of what McLaren is doing, I think, is showing the Christian community that we ourselves have done more damage to the reputation of Christ than Dan Brown could do in a thousand lifetimes.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger JoeBum said...

I thought that was the best part too, giving the ole left behind series a little kick in the butt. haha!

 
At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Ed C said...

That's hysterical, I just blogged today at inamirrordimly.com that the Da Vinci Code has evened things up since the Left Behind Series. The score is now:

Christians 1
Atheist/pagan/gnostic alliance 1

I agree with McLaren, both books are harmful. NT Wright is convinced that Left Behind eschatology is a huge problem for the church and I agree with him as well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home